The methodologies taught in the PuMP and KPI Certification Programs were created to help organizations redesign their performance measurement process. These practical step-by-step methodologies and tools were designed to help organizations:
- Make their strategy measurable and easier to communicate and cascade
- Select and design performance measures that are far more meaningful than brainstorming or benchmarking ever can produce
- Get buy-in from staff and stakeholders to enthusiastically own performance measurement and improvement
- Bring their measures to life in a consistent way, using the right data and with the right ownership
- Design insightful and actionable reports and dashboards that focus discussion on improvement
- Clearly see the real signals from their measures about whether performance is improving or not
- Convincingly hit performance targets, and make measurement about transformation
Steps in the process include:
Pre-KPI: Always begin by articulating your strategy properly. Use one of the many popular frameworks for strategy or goal setting (Balanced Scorecard, SMART, MBO, OKRs, WIGs, or other) to set objectives/goals and determine your strategy for achieving them.
KPI development steps:
Describe the intended result(s)
- Understand alternative measures
- Select the right measurement(s) for each goal/objective
- Define composite indicators as needed
- Set targets and thresholds
- Define and document selected performance measures
Performance analysis steps:
Select the most appropriate automation tool
- Collect and monitor performance
- Analyze and draw conclusions
- Improve performance
If you are struggling to develop meaningful performance measures, our PuMP® and KPI Professional certified consultants and trainers will guide you to uncovering the underlying business issues that are creating the demand for measures and then help you to analyze the drivers and results that provide a full picture of performance in order to inform management decision-making.
BSI consultants and trainers are experts at advanced KPI development and analysis. If you would like to learn more about how BSI can help your organization develop strategic performance measures contact us electronically, or visit our KPI Certification Program or PuMP Certification pages.