Balanced Scorecard Essentials
Course 110 – 1 Day
Balanced Scorecard Essentials is a one day interactive experience designed to help balanced scorecard team members contribute to their organization’s strategic management and performance improvement initiatives. It is based on the Balanced Scorecard Institute’s award winning Nine Steps to Success™ framework and thousands of hours of consulting and training experience in strategic planning and management. The emphasis is on shared participant experiences, lessons learned, best practices, applied exercises, reinforcement, and support. Participants will learn from each other and their facilitator and leave with a toolkit of proven resources. Print a Brochure
- Why the balanced scorecard is still one of the most powerful and effective management tools
- Basic elements and concepts of a balanced scorecard
- How scorecards are created using Balanced Scorecard Institute’s Nine Steps to Success™ methodology
- How to contribute to your team’s development of mission, vision, core values, and customer value proposition
- The basics of performance measure and target development
- How cascading scorecards to all levels in the organization can create strategic alignment
- How to engage leaders and employees in the origination’s shared direction
- How to overcome anticipated challenges with proposed solutions
Who Should Attend?
This course is recommended for managers, planners, analysts, and other members of an extended balanced scorecard development team who are seeking the best practical ideas for a successful implementation, or who need a general awareness of balanced scorecard concepts so that they can provide support for their organization’s development effort. The course is highly recommended for members of Strategic Theme teams, Objective Owner/Measurement teams, and Tier 2 Cascading teams that want to improve their contribution to the planning process. The course is also ideal for any business professional who wants to keep abreast of the latest thinking in strategic planning, alignment, management, measurement, and execution.
As a participant, you will benefit by learning how:
- Key concepts of the balanced scorecard work together
- A balanced scorecard can be used to improve organizational performance
- To assist in the development of strategic objectives, meaningful performance measures and targets
- To help your team successfully build a balanced scorecard system
- To anticipate challenges and prepare solutions for a more effective implementation
- To engage leaders and employees in the planning process
- Other organizations have used the balanced scorecard for continual improvement
- To summarize all elements of a balanced scorecards
Senior Associates who facilitate the program use a combination of short lectures, examples, and relevant exercises to help participants learn and apply balanced scorecard concepts. Facilitators also share proven instruments, templates, checklists, analysis tools and success stories to reinforce learning. Exercises throughout the course include:
- Define mission, vision, and perspectives
- Identify one strategic theme and capture any strategic results that could be tied to your theme
- Identify strategic objective candidate ideas and intended results
- Draw in cause-and-effect arrows to start the strategy map and capture any commentary
- Identify candidate initiative ideas for your strategic objective
- Summarize all elements into a balanced scorecard
Public Sector Discount:
There is a $50 discount for participants from public sector and not-for-profit organizations (use discount code NP).
There is also a $100 discount for three or more participants from the same organization. We encourage more people from the same organization to attend so that they can collaborate during the workshop.
Early Bird Special:
$50 additional discount per participant for signing up 30 days before the start of the course.
Balanced Scorecard Overview
- Basic concepts of balanced scorecard systems
- Basic concepts of performance management and measurement
- The Balance Scorecard Institute’s Nine Steps to Success™ framework for strategic planning and management
- Program planning and strategic assessment
- Strategic foundations
- Strategic Objectives and Strategy Mapping
- Application Exercise: Developing Strategic Objectives and Strategy Map
- Performance Measures & Strategic Initiatives
- Application Exercise: Developing Intended Results, Performance Measures and Strategic Initiatives
- Creating alignment through cascading scorecards
- Application Exercise: Developing Department/Unit Level Objectives and Measures
- Scorecard Rollout
- Performance Analysis
- Application Exercise: Summarize all elements into a balanced scorecard
Summary and Next Steps
- “Great way to ‘kick the tires’ of balanced scorecard to see what it is about without a huge investment.”
- “Now I understand what our BSC champion is trying to accomplish and can more meaningfully contribute to our discussions.”
- “A great overview to understand what our team is trying to do.”
Feedback from other Balanced Scorecard Institute courses:
- “The BSI Certification goes far beyond studying the theory & history of a balanced scorecard management system. This course gives individuals the tools necessary to build, implement, and manage a comprehensive tier 1-3 scorecard at their own organizations. The knowledge & skills gained are successful combination of theoretical & practical application that empower students to facilitate construction of this scorecard from the ground up” – Shella Blackburn, Manager Corporate Performance, Mission Essential Personnel.
- “The BSP Certification Boot Camp was on enriching learning experience. The case studies and peer interactions helped to turn theory into practice.” – David Branch, Director of Business Performance, Constellation Energy.
- “This course converted me from a skeptic into a believer” – Thedora Borissov, Manager, Performance and Measurement, BC Oil and Gas Commission.
- “I will be sending more of my staff to this [BSP Certification] course” –Steve Jonnes, FBI, Unit Chief – Performance Analysis Unit.
- “Best professional course I’ve ever taken! The demands are endless” — Earnest K. Kiano, Deputy Manager, Kenya Power & Lighting Company.
- “Finally, a comprehensive approach that makes sense and ties all of our tools together”, Todd Moon, Alcohol & Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau, Chief Operations Service.
- “Although we only implemented the balanced scorecard approach a couple of years ago, we have already seen improvements in our operations. The [Nine Steps to Success™] approach helps us focus on our ambitious goal to drastically increase the number of transplants we facilitate by 2015.” – Michael Boo, Chief Strategy Officer, National Marrow Donor Program.
- “Change is easy. Transition is more difficult—Balanced Scorecard Institute showed us not only how to change the organization-but more importantly how to manage the change process effectively.” Joe Cernero, Professional Development Manager, Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma.
- “We are very pleased with the help provided by the Institute. We are aiming for high revenue targets in a geographically diverse market, and the Institute helped us translate our strategy into something that employees can actually use.” – Laurent Auguste, President and CEO, Veolia Water Americas.
Contact us for more info